Sunday, December 2, 2012

In Loving Memory of Great-Grandpa Charley DeVries



When Lucy was born, she was blessed to have 4 great-grandparents and 4 grandparents still living.  Her last living great-grandparent on the Bryant side passed away just a few short months before she was born.  Sadly, another great grandparent passed away last week - my mom's father, Charley DeVries.  He lived a full life to the age of 91 and lived out his passion for farming and family in Wisconsin, where his surviving wife, Lucy's Great-Grandma Sylvia still resides (pictured above).

We are so grateful that many family members were able to attend the funeral, including me, my sisters and Lucy (Special Thanks to my brother-in-law, Tony, for driving us 4 girls and putting up with us all on the long road trip!).  While taking a 5 month old with Lucy's special requirements on a 5 hour road trip to attend a funeral and burial is not the least complicated trip in the world, I knew that if we still lived in Colorado there was no way I would have been able to make the trip with her.  The reason for the spontaneous family reunion was sad, but the end result was happy, as many people that have been praying for and invested in Lucy's life were able to meet her in person.

We are sad that Lucy never go to meet her Great-Grandpa, as we know he would have loved to hold her and tease her when she got older.  However, we rest assured that Grandpa was singing the words to the song we sang at his funeral (My Jesus, I Love Thee) and that they will meet each other one day in Heaven:
 
I'll love thee in life, I will love thee in death,
and praise thee as long as thou lendest me breath,
and say when the deathdew lies cold on my brow:
If ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now


 

No comments:

Post a Comment