Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bad movies ... and more waiting

The last four weeks (or however long it's been) have been a lesson in sleep deprivation, boredom and waiting. and waiting. and waiting.

When Abby was ultra commuting from Memphis to Minneapolis to Colorado Springs, I spent a lot of time in front of the computer and television watching some awful, awful movies.

There are some movies I will only watch when I'm bored (stupid comedy schlock, slasher films, any Police Academy film) and there are movies we will willingly watch together. This week, we've watched a few movies up at P/SL but while I've been home, I've been staying up late, watching some real gems.

Last night, there were two winners, both starring the legendary alpha male, Jean-Claude Van Damme -- Timecop and Street Fighter. Timecop is bearable. Stupid, but bearable. Street Fighter might rank up as one of the worst movies of all time.

Things I've also learned about not having Abby at home. I have an empty fridge.

When I was single, my fridge was meager, but never bare. Right now, it's bare. I haven't been shopping because it really isn't conducive to the cost vs. waste. I can't go to the store and get two days worth of food, because I'll ultimately end up eating crap fast food and letting the fridge stuff go bad.

Some of it might be nerves, not being able to sleep. In fact, the only time I've slept upstairs (in our room) since Abby was admitted to the hospital was when her mom and sisters were here. I don't know, maybe I just can't sleep up there without Abby being there.

This waiting thing has taken its toll on us both in different ways. I have to be grateful my job has allowed me to work remotely most of the time up in Denver. That's been a relief to not have to worry about sick days, vacation days, personal days, etc. They're all behind us and have been great.

I basically walk into work every day and say "still no baby."

In all of the waiting, one thing has been steady. Everyone's said Lucy's great. That's reassuring.

One thing is certain though, I don't know if I'll get back on a "normal" sleep schedule once Lucy gets here.

Now, it's on to Storage Wars reruns.

No comments:

Post a Comment