Sunday, June 24, 2012

Home

I was discharged from the hospital yesterday and spent the first night at home in 25 days. Leaving baby Lucy behind at the hospital was heartbreaking, even though we were "prepared" for it. I'm sure every day will be difficult to have to return home empty-handed but hopefully it will get better. Even though there is not much we can do for her, it is hard to feel like it is OK to be at home when she is in the hospital.

We live far enough away from the hospital to qualify for a stay in the Ronald McDonald House which is near the hospital. I'm sure we will stay there at some point, but right now we just wanted to be at home and return to some sort of routine (and eat food that is not prepared at the hospital or a restaurant!)

Lucy is doing well - she has had many of her tubes removed, most painful for her which was probably a chest tube that had been inserted between her ribs and her lungs. She has been fed through her feeding tube for the first time which will be immensely helpful for her digestive system, growth and overall development. The next few days will be all about rest and recovery for her as the doctors decide when she will be ready for her next surgeries. They have told us to expect a long stay in the hospital, but like everything up to this point, cannot tell us how long to expect to be here.

We continue to be amazed at the care and attention of the staff here at the hospital. It definitely takes a special calling to be a labor and delivery nurse, a neonatal pediatrician a surgeon, etc. They all have very different personalities but are so competent and caring we feel very comfortable with Lucy being in their care (in fact, I told Jason that I would probably cry less when we have to leave her if the nurses weren't so nice!)

We will continue to post updates on how Lucy is doing. Thank You for your continued prayers, interest and encouragement through this time.

1 comment:

  1. I remember leaving Rafey in he NICU, so I know ow you feel. They told me to bring him a blanket that had my smell so he could feel me next to him, and then I would take one of his with me. Now is the time to stok up on your sleep and recover yourself.

    ReplyDelete