Saturday, June 2, 2012

Blogging from the Hospital

Unfortunately, I've been admitted to the hospital for observation. The good news is that the baby is doing great - we have made it to 34 weeks (at least we will tomorrow!)

I had my 33 week appointment on Tuesday and my blood pressure was up, so they did some additional labs to test for pre-eclampsia. On Wednesday night, I got a call from the doctor's office telling me I was positive for mild pre-eclampsia and would have to come in on Thursday morning for additional blood pressure checks and that I needed to STOP WORKING IMMEDIATELY (now, those of you who know me know how difficult that was for me to hear...I mean, I still have a few weeks to wrap stuff up, right?!?!?!)

To further complicate matters, Jason was scheduled to leave for Akron, OH on Thursday morning. Since we did not know what would happen at my visit on Thursday, we decided to move his flight to later in the afternoon in order to give us some to figure out if he needed to stay in town.

At the doctor's office, they quickly monitored my blood pressure and made the decision to admit me to he hospital for observation. They sort of recommended we go directly to the hospital, but since it is an hour away from our home and we hadn't packed anything for an overnight stay, we decided to go home first, get lunch, pack, clean the house, return library books, etc. It ended up being a very good choice, as we haven't been back there since!

Basically, since Thursday night, I've been on constant monitoring for blood pressure, which hovers around 150/90 during the day and drops to low/normal ranges at night. I have also had my proteins checked, which are around 4.5 grams. 300mg is considered an acceptable range, 301mg - 5g is mild pre-eclamptic and over 5g is considered severe pre-eclampsia. High protein levels is an indication that your kidneys are not functioning properly. Beyond elevated blood pressure and protein levels - I do not have any other symptoms and in general feel really good. I have had 2 steroid shots, which are intended less for me and more for the baby, to help her lungs develop quicker.

At this point, they do not think I will go home until the baby is delivered - which could be a few days, or a few weeks, but doctors are thinking a few days is more realistic at this point.

Jason has been a major trooper so far - getting me constant ice water and take-out food, sleeping on the hospital pull-out bed and giving me foot rubs. I don't know how I would stay entertained without him here.

As with every situation during this pregnancy, we have met some other parents and heard other stories of what is going on with other patients and are reminded how fortunate we are to be this far along in the pregnancy and have a seemingly happy baby so far.

We so appreciate your prayers and support as we strive to stay sane and reminded of God's plan for us and little Lucy during this time.

1 comment:

  1. Dad says sounds too much like me, did pretty much the same thing before I went in for my appendix surgery

    ReplyDelete